Thursday, 30 May 2019

This week


The map is on the wall!! which means we are definitely saving to go to India at the end of this year ...
Evenings are spent planning our itinerary - the planning is half the fun!

So I have been putting away the odd EBay kaftan in anticipation.  This win was a good one, obscurely listed at 99p and nobody else bid, label is Bolam.  I can't find anything about the label unless it's a very pricey designer label called Bolam Lifestyle who source their clothes from India, some are hand woven/dyed.



It seems brand new, natural cotton, looks more shapely on, snug fit with a panel at each side that drapes.  It shed some dye when gently washed (with baby shampoo as per *Vintage Vix advice*).  I deliberately chopped my head off this pic as it's a bad hair day :)




Here's another EBay find for under a fiver, nice and light, semi transparent, to go over a bikini.
I like the idea of buying something repurposed, not spending very much so that if my luggage gets lost  it won't matter too much.



You wouldn't think it reading this post, but I'm not a clothes person.  I buy for comfort and practicality and natural fibre; that's all the thought that goes in  as I can't stand shopping, especially in places where you are given too much salesforce attention!  I have, however, become more aware of the impact on our environment from buying cheap, mass produced clothing so am quite pleased to be shopping in a mildly eco friendly way lately.

the un-eco friendly hat with my Ebayed East top

My new sun hat, worn in Cape Verde, really made me think about the environment: lasting all of four days before a  nasty long plastic brim wire started working loose.  I was concerned for the possibility of it ending up in the sea and took the wire home to recycle. So far no suitable eco friendly substitute found.



Here's a beautiful coat for you - it's Amber cat's ... she turned 17 this week.  She suffers from matted fur as she is now too stiff to reach and groom her  shoulders/back due to old age (despite still being able to struggle up to the shed on a good day)  so I have been grooming her a lot.

Finally before I go, I remembered to use Book Crossings website for my unwanted books.   Last time I registered books, I just left them in random places, but this time I donated to a local charity shop, putting the Book Crossing reference inside the book so the new owner can participate if they want by logging the destination of the book on the website.   This is a great way to recycle and a bit of fun if your book finds an owner who travels - as we live close to the airport, there's a good chance it may go far.



8 comments:

  1. I like your way of buying clothes, especially for your planned journey to India. There are a lot of foldable easy to pack cotton hats available with SPF50 and I have several to protect me when I am outdoors.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very pretty kaftan. Ebay brings up some amazing finds if you re patient!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday Amber Cat from Stephen Squirrel who turned 14 on Sunday!!
    Love that kaftan, it looks sensational on you and will be fabulous in India. You get so much more respect when you dress with style in India! Love the snazzy tunic, too and how good you look in that hat.
    What a shame about that evil plastic band. Could thread some gardening wire through the brim?
    Thanks for the shout out! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. How exciting! I think the planning is all part of the fun of going away.
    Your purchases are lovely. I'm not much of a shopper either, preferring comfort over style. X

    ReplyDelete
  5. The kaftan is so beautiful, I love the colours! Poor kitty...they really need us as they age. India is going to be a big trip, must be fun to plan!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. how exciting to visiting my neighboring country dear Betty :)))

    i would love to have you here for lunch or dinner if you visit my country as well my friend!

    lovely collection for trip indeed ,i loved the dresses you chose :)

    specially loved your own precious image :)

    my best wishes are you ,hope everything goes great and enjoy your trip
    we will be waiting for your updates and glimpse of your travelings :)
    hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the colour of the Kaftan.
    It's so lovely to be planning a trip … I'm already looking forward to seeing photographs of it.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yay for the map being up on the wall! What lovely kaftans.
    Amber cat looks very regal sitting up there on the shed roof. She's a beauty. Her coat looks fabulous, well worth all that grooming.
    xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting this small corner of the world.