Christmas is becoming a distant memory, we photograph the table every year- is that odd? maybe you do too. As we work shifts, Boxing Day was the one day we were all home together, so we made it our family day to cook the dinner. I really enjoy making the table look pretty and made a little centre piece with bits from the garden, to make it smell nice as I put rosemary in.
We use precious plates for Christmas meals, decorated with reindeer, penguins and Santa on his sleigh; the set came from a discount store years ago although they are high value to us as they are memory makers. I made the tablecloth years ago but its a favourite.
Our new curtains arrived at last! Its warmer in our dining room now (oops, stray sock on floor!) I like the new blue/grey colours. It's a job to get the pleats and gathers neat but I got there in the end..
We are aiming to eat more healthily this year, starting with making our own bread every week. We have a really good machine that does the work - this is sour dough made with rye flour. I am going to try different flours so we don't get bored.
We had the most spectacular red sunset the other night, I went out and walked to get a better view, I hope we have more like this.
I'm Spring cleaning this week and sorting clothes - hubby is taking me to Cape Verde for my 60th birthday in February so I am digging out my kaftans and swimwear in readiness. We don't have to be minimalist on this trip, we get to take a suitcase and are beach based. I have been reading up - they have some sharks, black and brown widow spider and various birds including an endangered species of lark (raso) and the loggerhead turtle. There are salt pools and natural mineral rock swimming pools ... and there's plenty of sand! I think the best thing to fill that suitcase with is charity shopped books that can be left behind:)
My current project is to learn chess, hubby is teaching me.
How's your New year going?
We are aiming to eat more healthily this year, starting with making our own bread every week. We have a really good machine that does the work - this is sour dough made with rye flour. I am going to try different flours so we don't get bored.
We had the most spectacular red sunset the other night, I went out and walked to get a better view, I hope we have more like this.
I'm Spring cleaning this week and sorting clothes - hubby is taking me to Cape Verde for my 60th birthday in February so I am digging out my kaftans and swimwear in readiness. We don't have to be minimalist on this trip, we get to take a suitcase and are beach based. I have been reading up - they have some sharks, black and brown widow spider and various birds including an endangered species of lark (raso) and the loggerhead turtle. There are salt pools and natural mineral rock swimming pools ... and there's plenty of sand! I think the best thing to fill that suitcase with is charity shopped books that can be left behind:)
My current project is to learn chess, hubby is teaching me.
How's your New year going?
I do like your new curtains, very understated, yet warm and cosy looking.
ReplyDeleteI think it is lovely to bring out all the traditional treasures at Christmas, decorations, tablecloths and so on. We do the same.My rosemary is in full flower!
Happy New Year pal. How exciting your trip away sounds and for such a significant birthday. Mine's will be significant too, so say other folk, perhaps because it's my official retirement age too but I'm not too bothered in any number ending with '5'!!Loving your dining table and your new curtains! I was trying to blog earlier but having a faff uploading the pics - there's quite a lot! Have a good week, Betty.xxx
ReplyDeleteI like the look of your new curtains.
ReplyDeleteIt's nice that you have a trip to Cape Verde planned.
The first week of the New Year has passed far too quickly, but it's been a very good one, with a family birthday get-together.
Hope the new week ahead will be a good one for you.
All the best Jan
Happy New Year!
ReplyDeleteYour curtains look lovely and so do your freshly painted new walls. Isn't it nice to start 2019 with a new look room?
That bread looks very professional.
How exciting about your birthday trip to Cape Verdi. Someone I know was there in November and the photos looked lovely. If I'm not back before you go have a fantastic birthday and a brilliant holiday. Rock those kaftans! xxx
The New Year is going swimmingly thanks.....I even cleaned out the car yesterday....now if only my desk would come. Love those new curtains.
ReplyDeleteOh, you'll be 60 like me, sister friend! Yay for a lovely trip!
ReplyDeleteGood for you, learning chess!
Happy New Year Betty. My blogging time has been limited lately with Mum here but she is home again now. Your table looks lovely, as do your new curtains. Have a wonderful trip Betty!!
ReplyDeleteHappy New Year!
ReplyDeleteI try to photograph the table each year but I don't always remember. I always photograph the cake and the tree.
The curtains look nice, I did chuckle at the sock. I wouldn't have noticed if you hadn't pointed it out.
The sunsets have been amazing, the burning skies, as I like to call them, can keep my attention for hours.
I've been thinking about getting a bread maker, what model do you use?
My year so far has been quiet. I've been putting the bedroom back together after redecorating, but I'm taking my time and having a good declutter.
Hope you have a great trip, it sounds amazing.
xx
Hi Hazelxjoy mine is a Panasonic 2500 I have found it very easy to use and clean, instruction book is straightforward and lots of recipes.
DeleteMy new year is going wonderfully. My boyfriend gave me a ruby and diamond ring and declred undying love for me!
ReplyDeleteThats wonderful, congratulations!
DeleteFirst of all "happy birthday in advance" dear Betty!
ReplyDeletewishing you a very happy trip with Hubby!
i absolutely LOVED your new curtains and your crockery set is gorgeous ,
i can see the your artistic touch on this lovely table either :)
best of luck for your chest learning,great mental exercise indeed.
we are also aiming on eating healthier food as our stomach are so sensitive ,your homemade bread looks deliciously great!
stay blessed my friend!
hugs!