Sunday, 5 November 2017

Travelling lighter next time!

 I found this quote, sometimes attributed to Audrey Hepburn because she quoted it, but written by Sam Levenson, Comedian:  I have heard bits of it many times but here in it's entirety it's a good reminder that whilst we all love to look our best and there's nothing wrong with a bit of indulgence either, it's good to keep things in perspective, this verse does that I think. 

"For attractive lips, Speak words of kindness. For lovely eyes, Seek out the good in people. For a slim figure, Share your food with the hungry. For beautiful hair, Let a child run their fingers through it once a day. For poise, Walk with the knowledge you'll NEVER walk alone. PEOPLE, even more than things, have to be restored, renewed, revived, reclaimed, and redeemed; Never throw-out ANYbody. Remember, If you ever need a helping hand, you'll find one at the end of YOUR arm. As you grow older,you will discover that you have two hands, one for helping yourself, the other for helping others. The beauty of a woman is not in the clothes she wears, The figure that she carries, or the way she combs her hair. The beauty of a woman must be seen in her eyes, Because that is the doorway to her heart, the place where love resides. The beauty of a woman is not in a facial mole, But true beauty in a woman is reflected in her soul. It is the caring that she lovingly gives, the passion that she shows, And the beauty of a woman with passing years-only grows!
 
 What made me think about and seek out this quote was that I took too many things on my Costa Rica trip, mainly because of the climate changes from mountain to beach but also because I didn't think about mixing and matching, making do and most of all travelling lighter.  I know on my next holiday I can manage with far less and so have made a list of favourites.

All my clothes were bought in sales or charity shops/Ebay, are washable and even the silk dress could have gone without ironing.  The dress was a present from hubby for 35th wedding anniversary and a bit of a treat which he found  in the sales.

I took a stripey Tesco cool bag and used for the beach as it was waterproof and cool and also handy used to pack toiletries when in the suitcase... it was 5 years old and the zip broke so I will look for a replacement. 



Peach pashmina, wore it every evening
Beads and bangles from charity shops for 99p each collected over the year
Beaded purses for evenings (Primark £3 each)
Hand luggage was my gym bag, fitted under seat/held laptop and was very light
Leather thongs for beach/pool .. Primark eight pounds, comfy
Leather slip on trainers for serious walking
Sparkly heels for evenings (Pep £5)
Undies - seven pairs will do as much time is spent in bikinis
Bikinis - 3
Sarongs - 3 (also make great wraps/scarves and can be tied as a dress too.
Silk dress/removable lining - wear without lining next time as it's hot and makes me look huge!
Cotton lined shift dress
Split leg trousers,very comfy and versatile
Assorted coloured vest tops x 4
White Cotton top x 1 ***I regret not taking a leather belt for this!
Denim shorts
White cotton shorts




East sale silk dress, washable

dress and pashmina Jaba Yard, Primark thongs


split leg trousers (monsoon 50% sale)











Sorry, bit out of focus - my kaftans  were all bought in sales over the last two years and got worn daily ... with bikinis and in the evening with shorts.  I could never have too many but there seem hard to find.






I took a lot of medications 'just in case', insect repellant, sun cream, shampoo/conditioner and moisturiser, nail varnish/remover, toothpaste as it would have been expensive to buy in the resort.  7 days of the holiday was spent with a throat infection so I was glad I brought antiseptic spray and ibuprofen!  I would only pack all these things if they are cheaper at home though.  it was forty pounds for sunscreen at our hotel, seven pounds from home for example.

I downloaded library books and magazines free to my tablet and read offline to save weight but prefer paperbacks to be honest so might get a few charity shop books I can leave behind next time.

I noticed plenty of shapely, stylish  ladies who wore tight clothing and looked fabulous, I think their secret is confidence and good posture.  The gold bikini is impressive, don't you think?


Hope they didn't mind me taking snaps - in the unlikely event anyone objects I would, of course, remove immediately!


There was some lovely 70s feel art around the hotel riu Sardinal which I would like to have taken home...  would love the orange one for my wall!





Hope you enjoyed my post, feel free to share your travel and packing tips in the comments as I really appreciate it.   Which are your most versatile items of clothing that always go on holiday with you?
 

12 comments:

  1. You look fantastic in all your clothes, Betty! When we travel we are usually occupied in very casual places so we don't even have to take evening/nicer restaurant clothes. It saves a lot of space.
    My mom bought me a new travel bag that fits under the seat on an airplane. She didn't like it that I was wearing a backpack through airports and usually arrived with sore wings.
    It's going to be tricky to pack the new bag.
    I loved this post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't like backpacks as you can't see if someone puts their hands in when in a crowd. I think rolling clothes in a big wad rather than folding gets best crease free results if that helps.

      Delete
  2. What a retro-tastic hotel!
    True beauty is a confident woman in a bikini! All three of those ladies look amazing especially that wonderful gold number.
    You look fantastic in all your holiday clothes, the anniversary dress, the flares and all your kaftans (have a look on eBay, there's over 50 pages of them - great time to buy when nobody else is looking!)
    I've been known to travel in a dress and a pair of flip flops with a bikini underneath and buy things when I'm there but I do prefer to have my own stuff even though its nice to support the local economy.
    No idea what to take this time - Gujarat doesn't see much Western tourism and its a bit chiller up there - so something that's going to keep me warm, not shock the locals (the family who run the homestay have managed to find my blog so know what to expect!) and be light enough to screw into a bag for three weeks when we're beach bumming it in Goa! Two months to decide! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I like the idea of buying on arrival (providing you can be sure there's stuff available!) might do a bit of that next time :) will keep an eye out on Ebay, I'm a bit scared of it to be honest!

      Delete
  3. If I can't go in blue jeans and a t shirt...I don't go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. very classic and of course can dress it up or down, personally I find jeans a little uncomfortable on my (fat) waist!

      Delete
  4. What's a holiday??lol You look great in all your holiday gear and I'm deffo keeping those packing tips in mind, just in case, pun intended!!!Loved the wall art. Have a good week, Betty.xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. wall art was fabulous, it's got me thinking maybe I should find some museums with this kind of art and get a retro fix.

      Delete
  5. I had a friend send me that quote. I am 65 and do not feel attractive. She said I should see that my beauty comes from my inner soul, and if someone takes the time to know it, they will see me with eyes that see the beauty.
    I was sent this lately, author unknown:
    She was beautiful, but not like those girls in the magazines. She was beautiful for the way she thought. She was beautiful for the sparkle in her eyes when she talked about something she loved. She was beautiful for her ability to make other people smile even if she was sad. No, she wasn't beautiful for something as temporary as her looks. She was beautiful deep down to her soul.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thats a beautiful quote, Rose, my mother used to say 'beauty lies in the eyes of the beholder'

      Delete
  6. i am sorry first of all that i don't know how i forget to visit you regularly my friend!

    is this you in beautiful outfits?
    they all are gorgeous and you look really amazing wearing them ,loved these photos!!!

    nice art at hotel!

    ReplyDelete
  7. My sister in law and I are of very similar build and weight, however she is comfortable in her skin and I am not. She will wear things that look good on her that I would never dare to even consider! The quote is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting, please leave a comment if you would like me to know you passed this small corner of the world. To prevent spam I block anonymous comments.