Monday, 2 January 2017

Time

Happy New Year! did you know that we had a second suspended in space waiting to be claimed? And we did claim it.  It was to get our little planet back on track with our perception of time versus the solar system - well the solar system won - we had to add an extra second to the clock before midnight on 31/12/16 and I made sure that at one second to midnight a magic wish was made - secret of course.  Did you make a wish?


Permission of Google

An extra second has been added to 2016 on Dec 31. Summary: On December 31, 2016, a "leapsecond" will be added to the world's clocks at 23 hours, 59 minutes and 59 seconds Coordinated Universal Time (UTC).(quoted from Science Daily)

Clock Torre dell'Orologio Venice (Wikemedia permissions)

Hearing about the extra second on the news made me think a lot about our perception of time and how our lives travel so fast  and furiously and we don't allow ourselves much time to ponder ... the meaning of life and so on .... I have been reading a superb book called The Hidden Life of Trees, by Peter Wohlleben in which I learned how trees communicate with each other (and us?) ... oh yes.. .. they are very much alive and their body clock ticks a lot more slowly than ours... makes you think? it does indeed... makes you wonder what all the other living things on this planet did with their extra 'second of time'.



This year I will post on my blog when the Seasons dictate, so if Mother Nature's mantle changes then I will do a little post and hopefully capture the essence of something I am seeing in Nature with the odd sketch or watercolour or photo maybe, who knows.

watercolour
I am giving my silk paints to a friend who has yet to discover the way ink seeps and swirls and mixes on silk and they will have a lot of fun doing that ... I want to learn to paint in more detail, to see how watercolour works and maybe to do other creative pursuits - if I have any success I will do the odd post here.

silk painted


During the past year I have been so inspired by Susan Branch - if you haven't seen her blog you really are in for a treat... her books have been wonderful but it's her daily ramblings I like the best.   She had a moment where she lost it and gave her political views and some of her followers lost it even more and left some mean responses  - but she's back in fluffy mode now, with her Beatrix Potter ornaments lined up and her lovely illustrations and recipes, stories of recent trip to the UK -which sort of makes you feel you haven't seen much of your own country (if you live in the UK like I do that is).  Her enthusiasm for life, homeliness and gentleness are very therapeutic.  Personally I need to read blogs like this, they keep me calm and gentle - if you know of any more like her, please let me know.

painting is what I need to be doing more of in 2017!

 I have also been inspired by your blogs - lots of bloggers out there create the most beautiful art, words and photography, if you click on my followers icons you will see all those clever people hidden away in their own little worlds, some with a whole army of their own followers; many of them in far flung places.  That's what I like about blogging and is why my door was left open just a crack last year - so I could still nip in and see all those wonderful creative, inspiring people.  So glad I didn't close it completely.



This year let's be time travellers - yes, every little pocket of spare time can be used to transport ourselves somewhere lovely using imagination.  Starting with that extra second the Universe let us snatch back at midnight end of 2016.


13 comments:

  1. Brian Cox was explaining about the extra second on 6Music the other day. I suppose at least we're gaining time and not losing it!
    How lovely to give your silk paints to a friend and exciting to try a new skill which, I'm sure will be as wonderful as your other art.
    Happy New Year, Betty. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Brian Cox, he simplifies science and makes it so interesting. Yes, I will get a lot of pleasure seeing how my friends get along with the paints and it takes away any guilt in not using them up myself :D

      Delete
  2. Happy New Year Betty - a lovely post indeed. I was especially glad last year when you did not shut the door firmly closed on your blog as it is a wonderful place to visit & I love your ramblings. Long may they continue Betty x x x (just popping over to check out Susan Branch)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you didn't close the door too. I always enjoy reading about your painting and your walks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't know about the extra second. Thanks, Betty.
    Yes, I love Susan Branch's loving heart, too! I'm looking forward to seeing more of your art.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am hoping to see more of your lovely painting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Rose - and I am looking forward to seeing pictures of some of those wonderful places you plan to visit!

      Delete
  6. what a lovely magical thought to use our spare time to transport ourselves somewhere x

    ReplyDelete
  7. What about taking an evening class to further your talents, which are enviable. I can't even draw a tree! I agree with you about the inspirational blogs. I'll have a lookout for more and give you a heads-up. Definitely feeling a lot older this morning. Must be that extra second catching up with me!! Lovely to 'see' you back, Betty. Hope this New Year is good to you and yours. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes I would like to join a class, unfortunately our local college is making cut backs and there aren't any that I know of. will be keeping an eye out locally though for any groups I could join. There are two but they are on the days I work!

      Delete
  8. Wishing you a bright new year and much goodness along the way.


    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy New Year. Enjoy all your days and your new creative explorations in 2017 Betty.
    Helen xox

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm glad you left your door ajar just a little this year. I'm enjoying watercolors, but I'm slow learning what to do with them! I've heard lots of good things about Susan Branch. Hope to see some new art!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting, please leave a comment if you would like me to know you passed this small corner of the world. To prevent spam I block anonymous comments.