Tuesday, 1 November 2016



It is important to remember that we all have magic inside us, JK Rowling





What could be more magical than visiting this beautiful library at Halloween... I usually collect books I have requested from here rather than the nearest library to me because I love it so much, it's very old, just like something out of the set of Harry Potter, inside is even better than outside (although you aren't supposed to take pictures.  It's got a big old fashioned fireplace, a huge wooden dresser, an old oak chair carved with a lion on the back, polished wooden shelves, a low ceiling with wooden balcony.

My library book this week is this , just a nice little read to curl up with, it's a book about creating atmosphere, cosiness, homeliness - all that stuff rolled into this Danish word, Hygge.  Quite nice.

source: Amazon (or my library)

The world is full of magical things, patiently waiting for our senses to grow sharper.  W.B. Yeats

Amber spends  a lot of time waiting for her senses to grow sharper.




image: Google Commons
these little mice are stuffed, they were in a taxidermy shop in The Lanes.   There was lots more interesting stuffed stuff(!) inside the shop but it was too dark to take pictures - although they gave permission - for example, a beautiful swan which they assured me had died of natural causes and not prematurely, not sure about the mice.


Here's another book I am dipping in and out of - sent by my penpal Nana Go-Go it's really different and the sweets have helped it along very nicely (thank you xxx) .  I have had other nice post lately, a letter from my penpal Pompom, there's nothing better than something in the post as long as it isn't a bill!  My turn to write back now - I love writing letters, it does take a bit of time and we have email, but a letter is just something so much better!



The woods have turned to Autumn.  I never got round to picking sloe berries - there didn't seem to be many - either people are all making sloe gin this year or the birds need them - maybe we have a hard Winter ahead, quite possibly methinks as holly berries are in abundance and all the rowan berries are being eaten by blackbirds at an alarming rate, squirrels have begun hoarding acorns and the mistle thrush, robins and blue tits no longer want bread but fatty seed balls in their feeder .   We did find lots of elderberry and blackberry though which is fermenting nicely into various alcoholic concoctions.



I have been walking more lately, the farmland above is part of a 15 mile round walk that takes in woods, fields and hedgerows - I'm not to keen on walking with cows though so took a detour on this one!


Other things I have been doing are

  • making fudge for a friend, such any easy thing to make and so well received as a little thank you pressy.... 
  • learning to knit (a hat), work in progress and early days but I do love the feel of the wool and the clickety click of the needles.
  • making wreath bases for Christmas door wreaths (they need to harden and dry out) which does not involve any great skill by the way, other than the ability to pull lengths of twine off trees and twist it into shape, they look boring now but when they are decorated with ivy and holly and festive bits and pieces will be much prettier.



It is only a few weeks since I was walking bare legged through the woods in sandals and now wellies are required.  The woods are full of the most fabulous colours - reds, rusts, yellows; early mornings are bathed in golden hues and evenings are now brought to a close with warmth from my chiminea (Freecycle some years ago, rusty but still going!).   Just the kind of colours that make me feel like getting my paints out.... back soon, thanks for stopping by.  Leave a comment if you have time, it's nice to know you passed this way......








24 comments:

  1. This is a lovely autumn post; that book about Hygge sounds like a comfort book. I like the Christmas Fairy (photo in your side bar) you made for your swap partner, she is darling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. the christmas fairy was made from one of those little wooden manequins you get in art shops, her dress is wired parcel wrap and her hair was a hair extension from poundland, her wings a hair clip - glad you like her.

      Delete
  2. That library is gorgeous! I've never seen or read any Harry Potter but it certainly looks magical.
    Hasn't Winter arrived quickly? It was bitterly cold here today.
    Those mice are adorable. i shouldn't approve being a veggie but i can't help it.
    I haven't seen any of those Chinese Lanterns in ages, they used to grow plentifully in the garden. They're beautiufl,. I must track down some seeds. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Never seen Harry Potter?!! you would love it, especially the costume. I share your feelings on the mice, but they sort of mesmerise you. The chinese lanterns are in small flower shops around here at £1 a stem and they dry beautifully for the Christmas wreath so that's mileage for your money!

      Delete
  3. My second comment, cuz I forgot to mention what a lovely library. Being a retired librarian I really admire it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a delicious post, Betty! I love that hygge book! Well, the cover! I'll have to look for it!
    You are a natural hygge maker!
    Don't you LOVE Nana Go Go? You and she are a lot alike and so caring and true. I feel richer knowing the two of you!
    Amber looks cozy! I am trying to prepare little hideouts for my Timothy so that he can always find a warm and inviting spot to snuggle. His first preference is my lap!
    Your walks sound very sweet. I wish I could join you! Our trees are REALLY releasing their leaves today. The soft and quite warm wind is blowing so I have my sheets on the line.
    I love your favorite library. I want to see it in real life someday.
    The stuffed stuff is very interesting as well!
    Fudge. Perfect idea. I may have to make some now. I always intend to make it closer to Christmas, but I think now is a good time.
    Love love love being sent to you, sweet friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have something in the post for little Timothy. Yes! come and visit my library - do a Susan Branch type tour of the UK, I will be your guidebook. I do love Nana GoGo, she has Hygge with a capital H!

      Delete
    2. Love you two!!!Pom come and stay at mine on your world tour!!!xxx

      Delete
    3. What a fun plan! I hope to make it to the UK someday soon. I haven't ever been. Now, you two must come to Denver, too!

      Delete
  5. The woods and trees are looking pretty spectacular at the moment aren't they. You inspires me ... I'm going to get some branches from our woodland to weave into wreaths ready for Christmas. It's a couple of years since I've done this and about time I resurrected the process.

    I'm not keen on the stuffed mice, there's something creepy about anything stuffed, we are all meant to return to the earth we came from ... not stay behind as ornaments ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! sort of agree, the mice are a bit contraversial! yet you want to pick them up and stroke them somehow. Oh do make a wreath, we can all make them so much better than the fake ones in shops, get lengths of ivy, they make the best ones and the leaves soon dry and drop off.

      Delete
  6. Really great to 'read' you!!Hope you're enjoying the book. I need to write to Pom too. Time seems to get away from me these days and I've just had two days off work!!Stuffed mice??!Good grief what next!!Will write asap!xxx
    Ps having to post anonymously!!Have you changed your settings?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. no i haven't changed anything, I think you might be the only one with this trouble, just put your name in the post somewhere next time and I can then visit you. Thanks for visiting :D

      Delete
    2. Betty this was me!!!when I added my 'ps' it worked with my name!!

      Delete
  7. Lovely to see you pop up again Betty ... Ambercat is looking gorgeous as ever. And very chilled out. I have seen that book Hygge pop up on a few blogs & am very tempted to try to locate it & read. Autumn is a very pretty time in your area Betty. Take care ... give Ambercat a pat from me x x x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a very short book Julie, I would try and find it in the library if you can.

      Delete
  8. Ps just ordered the hygge book from my library. Someone else has it until the 14th, typical!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I had to order and wait too - it's just eye candy/inspiration really - a bit Kirsty All Slop kind of style.

      Delete
  9. I love those quotes and I love this time of the year which is slightly odd as I also love going off to the sun. Your post is truely magical and that library would definitely make me feel magical and mystical. I'm having fun re-reading Harry Potter to my grandkids children really do make you more aware of the magic all around us.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The old library sounds wonderful! I want to visit! :)
    The mice are kind of cute from a distance, but knowing that they're real...gives me the willies, a bit, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The white mice are quite a sight perched on their spools of thread. I do wonder how they became..stuffed..there must be a story there. What a Halloween treat. And the library sounds so wonderful a place. Again, why would they not want others to share it in pictures? Maybe if everyone knew about it, it could be dessicrated somehow.

    Great post, Betty. Enjoy your reads. And knitting up a new hat.

    ReplyDelete
  12. A lovely cosy autumn post. The library does look beautiful, what a wonderful place to collect your books from. Your fudge sounds delicious...one of my favourite things! Enjoy your knitting....it is such a soothing craft I find! Happy November, Betty.
    Helen xox

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting, please leave a comment if you would like me to know you passed this small corner of the world. To prevent spam I block anonymous comments.