Thursday, 17 July 2014

It's been a lovely day for being outside.  
I went to Mayfield lavender fields at Banstead and had a picnic with a friend
It was a perfect day out.
I noticed we don't have so many bees this year and it worries me.


I bought lavender - it would be silly not to don't you think? it smells so wonderful there.
 I do have lavender in the garden
and picked that too - I am drying it all now for scented bags.


 I have also been out in the garden silk painting. I have a lovely big glass table out there
and the light was really good today, it's not often I have a whole day with perfect weather to sit and paint, 
a very restful day listening to birds.


 Nice vibrant colours, I was painting in layers and aiming for a more blurred result 
but silk painting is always a surprise result, it does what it likes.
I haven't started painting for my swap yet, I will have to wait until it feels like a 'pink' day as my
swap partner likes pink!

 I found a nice crisp cotton table runner in
a charity shop....It was only £2 - I had seen it some time ago and told myelf I didn't need it
but it came home today.  Everyone needs good table linen, right?!



I  spent some time with Ambercat avoiding the heat in a shady spot, we had cushions out there as she's an invalid today and needed to feel special. She has a sore eye and ear 
from fighting - the new neighbours have three cats - they have Spanish names but
we call them slitty eyes, blackie and blotchie
I think slitty eyes is the problem - she squints at Amber 
and then Amber loses her temper and fur flies!
We have bonded perfectly with the neighbours, but the cats are taking longer!


oops- just noticed my laundry is in view!
Doesn't laundry smell nice dried outside?

What have you been doing this week?


11 comments:

  1. That field of lavender is just gorgeous. I love your art, it reminds me of that picture the Flak girl painted before the rained made it all watery.
    Poor Ambercat. We've got a little stray in the garden at the moment, he seems to have his eye on Polly piglet despite her being neutered. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew I should have done something more! painting in the rain is probably the answer! I think with the cats blackie is a boy and it's all about who owns him!

      Delete
  2. What a colourful post - both in your photographs and in your beautiful painting. I like that it's not 'blurry' but sharp and crisp and very,very uplifiting. You just get better and better with your paintbrush, Betty. Keep going. Poor Ambercat......hope he gets better quickly and gives those bully cats next door a run for their money! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh thanks Betty for sharing your beautiful summery days photos with me as I load up the woodbasket & shiver in my socks :-) I too adore lavender - in any form really, on the plant, picked in a bunch or rubbed into bags. I hope dear old Ambercat recovers well - they sound like they are working out their pecking order in the neighbourhood.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the painting you did!! So bright and colorful! What kind of paints do you use? Do you draw it out first or do freehand? Are you retired? I will be 62 on July 24 but cannot afford to retire.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Rose - thanks for leaving a comment. This picture is done using silk painting ink - so it's like ink. You draw the outline from a tube of guta - glue like substance with a fine nozzle which holds the ink from running. I am not retired - I would quite like to be! I am 55 and work shifts in a call centre so get some nice days off because I have a good shift pattern! Betty

      Delete
  5. Oh, gotta tell you that everytime I hear the birds playing as I read your blog, my cats go seeking the birds, running all around the room. It is funny!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the field of lavender, the scent must be heavenly. You did a job with your painting too. Hope you have a good weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely, lovely lavender. I can almost smell it. So glad you are enjoying your summer, Betty.

    ReplyDelete
  8. OOh Im so envious of those lavender fields, I have never been to one yet! Love your vibrant silk painitn, isn't it wonderful to be able to sit and work outside in this glorious weather.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Betty, what a beautiful painting and the lavender us totally gorgeous. I'm just stopping by to say how delightful your blog is. Thanks so much for sharing. I have recently found your blog and am now following you, and will visit often. Please stop by my blog and perhaps you would like to follow me also. Have a wonderful day. Hugs, Chris
    http://chelencarter-retiredandlovingit.blogspot.ca/

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting, please leave a comment if you would like me to know you passed this small corner of the world. To prevent spam I block anonymous comments.