Saturday, 28 June 2014

This Week


Isn't it lovely out here - I have spent most early mornings either in my conservatory or in the garden with my cup of tea.  The floorspace is disappearing - the snap dragons on the table were £2 each in the market .  My supermarket chilli plant was dying and had lost all its leaves so was a bargain 50 pence - it soon picked up and is now producing more chillis than I can use.

Yesterday I went to Cuckfield, it's only 20 minutes away from me (near Balcombe which has been in the press due to anti fracking demonstrations)... I went to see the tiny museum which holds a 'cache'... a collection of items from the 1800s which were hidden in the local houses to repel witchcraft....




- it was delightful to see these things (tiny shoes, I think people were much smaller in those days) Superstition was rife in that era and I find the origins of these beliefs interesting ...  No pictures allowed in the museum ... so I have to refer you HERE ... there were two super friendly volunteers who explained all the displays to me ... they also have a display of workhouse items as the nearby hospital was once the workhouse, there is also some fabulous, vibrant old stained glass on display from local houses. 

The village is full of very old,  pretty houses with cottage gardens overflowing with flowers and is very picturesque.

This month I have tried to do better with my reading and finished this very funny book:  It begins at school with Shappi's arrival in the UK from Iran and tells of the impact on her family as the Shah of Iran departs and the Ayatollah Komeini takes control - her fathers published, somewhat controversial, political poetry and cartoons caused the family to become a target for terrorism - in addition she faced huge cultural challenges as a schoolgirl in the UK, her sense of humour shines through and it's not surprising that she now entertains the public with her wit.

Shappi Khorsandi
(linky to her website if you're interested in more)


I also read this book (Shelter for the Spirit, Victoria Moran), I read about it on a blog I follow,  tried to find who it was to credit them but failed - thank you so much for pointing me towards it.  It's the kind of book you keep and read again ..the writer inspires us all to make our homes a spiritual haven for the family. 



Cuckfield window display - isn't this the prettiest fabric?


Back soon.  Hope everyone is getting to know their swap partner.  I am making a woodland/country theme swap for my partner .. if anyone is stopping to leave a comment I would love to hear how you are getting on - don't forget, it's a slow swap so no need to hurry with this one.

I will leave you with a view of my front garden - when I water it early morning, a lot of small birds come swooping down, Ambercat doesn't know about that.




16 comments:

  1. What a delightful village Cuckfield sounds.
    I am progressing very slowly with my swap, mainly due to having been very unwell during the last 2 weeks....but will try to get on with things soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad you are getting back on your feet - but there's no need to hurry - this is a slow swap and everyone can take time so don't worry.
      Cuckfield is worth another visit I think.

      Delete
  2. I always feel like I've been strolling along with you, Betty, in my mind! What a lot you pack into a day. I love the little museum. I live very near to where the last witch in Scotland met her fate. My sister's friend wrote a book about them. I'll find out the title for you. I love your front garden and your conservatory - I only bought a few annuals this year, everything else has come up again from last year, though not quite as lush as your planters! I had an idea for swapping but had to put it on the back burner because it would have been a bit like sending coals to Newcastle (or New Zealand - serendipity? - as the case will be!) so back to the drawing board. Have a good weekend and 'speak' soon. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh that book sounds interesting - I could maybe request it from the library. I am so surprised my planters are doing well - my lemon trees also. Don't worry about the swap - inspiration will come - there is no hurry we all have until late August. Betty

      Delete
  3. You definitely have a green thumb, Betty. All your plants are thriving and productive. They love you. You take good care of them.

    The museum looks interesting. Will go back and retread that and will look into that more. Tiny shoes, yes, I recall seeing small shoes in Ireland from the 1700's onwards...poor nutrition, me thinks. They did not grow tall or large then, usually.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes poor nutrition, I can't imagine what a basic diet they must have had - also the display for the workhouse was awful - a lump of bread like a small stone in a slimy grey pond (gruel).

      Delete
  4. I LOVE THE BOOK SHELTER FOR THE SPIRIT....I have had it on my bookshelf for years and often reread it.

    xo

    Jo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am starting from the beginning again! I think as long as it's on the go I am trying to put into practice all the lovely stuff inside, not sure how long I will keep up the good work!

      Delete
  5. It looks like such a lovely village. I've made contact with my swap partner & am starting to make plans! Have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad your swap is going well. Have fun.

      Delete
  6. I visit Cuckfiled fairly often as my dear friend lives there - but I did not know about this museum! Is it near the allotments? I will have to ask my friend and go along to see it
    Many thanks
    Best wishes
    Jenny

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As you come into the village from Balcombe, it's the first building on your right, I will email you.

      Delete
  7. What a lovely village, the witchcraft cache sounds really interesting, I'd love to visit the museum and see it for myself.
    Acting English sounds right up my street and your doorway is beautiful. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Vix - think you would like the book, she does stand up - might try and find her if she does a local show. Loved your Glastonbury pictures.

      Delete
  8. Cuckfield just sounds like the place you really need to visit, Betty! Love the shop window, Sanderson and EB ... two favourites of mine! Looking fiorwrd to the swap ... I'm paired with a delightful lady!

    Have a fab day

    Love Claire xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou! I had hoped the village would be good for a bit of thrift shopping but it is very 'designer' lovely to see though.

      Delete

Thank you for visiting, please leave a comment if you would like me to know you passed this small corner of the world. To prevent spam I block anonymous comments.