Monday, 29 July 2013

End of July, updated

I went back to my silk painting and experimented with a black outliner and overpainting.  I like this result much better than the first.



There were some areas that hadn't come out well in the original version so I went over them and got a neater finish.  The ink doesn't spread when you paint the second time around so it is much easier to keep to the areas you want to colour.  Something new to learn every day they say.


 This is rosebay willowherb, vetch, clover and marguerita.

The original, wishy washy effect.

I found this libary book today - isn't it delightful? it's all about making bird houses and is called '30 Build Your Own Birdhouses' I don't know if I will get round to making one but it's such an inspirational book. 



The skirt I am wearing in this picture is a happy result too - most of my skirts are  floral embroidered like this one...I thought when they wore out that would be that - but I experimented with a purple hand dye and this went from faded grey to deep purple - the embroidery kept it's lovely blue colour miraculously and the white pattern is embossed so was not affected by the dye.  I am busy dying some other things now to see if I can get new life out of them!  





Background - Rosebay Willowherb,
marguerita

I found in my herbal book that the crushed root of Rosebay Willowherb makes a poultice to heal burns and the flowers can be picked and eaten as a snack or in salad.  I will try it and let you know if it tastes nice!





Milk thistle.



I lost interest in this watercolour so will have to come back and do some more another day.






My Sealed Pot Challenge continues, saving for a weekend in London.  My tin is getting heavier and is probably about half full.  I booked an aromatherapy sessions for the second day in London, so hope all those parking charges I have been saving will add up!

 I have another much bigger Sealed Pot Challenge now - between 1st August this year and 1st August 2014 I hope to save enough for a Summer holiday for all the family - this is a huge challenge as we have a tight budget, but I have come to see that things only happen when you budget and save, they don't just happen all by themselves ... so my holiday sealed pot is an online bank account called 'Pot of Gold' and any overtime I earn or extra commission hubby can earn will go in there - we have no idea if we can do it - but there's no harm in trying!

 As we are staying home this Summer, I plan to take time off work to paint some of my room.  Happy holidays.  I won't be blogging much during August but will catch up soon.  Thankyou to all who visit and leave comments and welcome to some new followers - if you click on their icons on 'follow this blog' you can visit them too and find some wonderful new blogs.
Betty

27 comments:

  1. Well, I'll miss you! Your paintings are VERY pretty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou PomPom, it's good to have a rest from computers I think and there is so much to catch up on at home. Will catch up on all your posts soon.

      Delete
  2. Sensible to take a break. enjoy your time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou Elizabeth, will have a quick catch up on your blog before I sign off for the month!

      Delete
  3. Wow, your pictures are so pretty! I have been picking milk thistle this week without knowing what it was called, so thank you for enlightening me ...

    Have a lovely break ... missing you already!

    Love Claire xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well it says Milk thistle in the little book I have - the heads are small and the leaves and stem give out a milky liquid if you snap them, better check though if you plan to do anything with the ones you have!

      Delete
  4. Your paintings are always a delight Betty. Good luck with saving for your holidays. Have a great blogging break and see you when you get back. Have a marvellous Monday.
    Best wishes Molly

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a beautiful silk painting! Enjoy your time off - it is good to be away from the computer for a time.
    I like your saving idea and I wish you every success with it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I always love looking at your silk paintings and these ones are no exception. They are all beautiful.

    I love your idea of saving for a family vacation and I'm positive that you'll have saved enough money by August 2014. Everyone will contribute and it will be a special vacation. Good luck with both projects. You can do it.
    Everyone needs a blog break once in a while. Blogging is wonderful but takes up so much time. I'll miss you of course but I understand.

    Hugs,
    JB

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou Julia - I have a lunch bag with a world map on it and spend my lunchtimes dreaming of faraway places - August 2014 seems a lifetime away!

      Delete
  7. Enjoy your time painting room (and maybe more watercolrs and silks).

    Hope your Pot of Gold grows by leaps and bounds!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. the painting is boring on ceilings but it has to be done!

      Delete
  8. I have just started following you. I love your silk paintings they are beautiful. Looking forward to your return. x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thankyou for visiting, Melanie - it's great to have some new followers this month, hope you enjoy my blog and that you also find some other blogs to explore via my followers list.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love Your paintings Betty,they are so pretty. Good luck with the big pot of gold challenge.Enjoy Your time out during August ,look forward to catching up with you soon xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, the pot of gold challenge has become the talk of the house! we have brochures - half the fun of a holiday is the planning and saving I think.

      Delete
  11. I love your recent dabbles!!They would look lovely in a book!Also, I think you could put The MoneySavingExpert to shame with your money-saving tips. I'm going to check out that bank account. I love your 'new' skirt, what a clever idea and it looks fab.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wonderful pictures. Your paintings are so beautiful and I just love the skirt !!
    The books look very interesting. I hope you have a lot of fun reading them.
    Have a magical day.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looking forward to more of your gentle posts after the summer xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. That is great playing around with dye to get some more wear out of clothes. How clever. Have a great August and we hope you have some fun with your projects Betty. Have a terrific Tuesday.
    Best wishes Molly

    ReplyDelete
  15. I agree with you i like the second one better. The outline brings out the shape of the flowers. Enjoy what is left of August. Hope to see you blogging again in September. Thanks for your kind comment...xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Where do I start?

    Firstly I'm just catching up with posts, as been on holiday in Scotland.

    Beautiful paintings as always.

    Love that skirt-the colour. Wow! You have such an eye!

    Lastly I love your pot of gold challenge. It's great saving big-as you say it's how you make thing happen.

    I'm saving for a trip in 2020. How bonkers is that? But I have to try otherwise that dream will not be coming true.

    Sft x

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lovely, lovely silk painting! Very imaginative and almost ethereal ...

    Enjoy your break and look forward to catching up!

    Love Claire xxx

    ReplyDelete
  18. That's a good idea to save for a nice holiday!
    Your silk painting is very pretty, Betty! I really like your skirt, too!
    Enjoy the sweet last days of summer. I start teaching on Monday, but I'm already back at school getting ready.
    Take good care!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Beautiful silk, Betty. Glad the new technique is working out well.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting, please leave a comment if you would like me to know you passed this small corner of the world. To prevent spam I block anonymous comments.