Saturday, 22 June 2013

Solstice Night

We had a very late walk in the woods, it was getting dark but there was a huge round yellow moon to light the way, an owl hooted, we tried hooting back, he hooted some more....


source: Google Images, commons

Around our heads were what appeared to be little birds - they were of course bats! Quite a lot of them in a clearing between trees, deep in the woods, near a smalll pond that during the day is unattractive and boggy, but at night is glinting with magic and moonlit reflections of bats. A magical sight.

source nhm.ac.uk

Later we lit our sky lantern and watched it skitter up over the woods and into space.  A perfect end to the night of Solstice.  Hope yours was memorable too.

My camera was not advanced enough to capture fast moving bats in moonlight, these pictures are sourced via Google Images, if I have unknowingly taken anything that has copyright, please notify me and I will remove it immediately.

15 comments:

  1. Magical walk.. I don't even know how people manage to photo bats!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like the perfect night for you, Betty. I missed everything. I went to bed with a heavy heart. Will write later. Have a great weekend. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. The moon was fantastic last night wasn't it, and apparently it will be even better tonight (cloud cover permitting of course!!)

    We often see bats if we sit in our garden late in the evening, we once narrowly escaped having one fly into our kitchen!!

    Helenxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. That sounds like a magical walk Betty. We didn't really do anything over here. We use to have a bat in the wisteria but we never saw him but could hear him clicking at night. Have a super Saturday.
    Best wishes Molly

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, Betty, you described what even in my wildest imaging I could not produce. Owls, bats, lantern light...capture one or two in your mind's eye and keep remembering those as God's love . At your lowest, they will bring you a smile.

    My estranged daughter's birthday was the 20th. Hoping she has a few perfect moments to recall, too.

    Warm thoughts, Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are brave to go in the deep woods in the dark, summer solstice or not... on the other hand, why not join the fairies at their Solstice party.
    Hugs,
    JB

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I did have one of my 6ft sons with me so not so scary! I wasn't invited to the fairies solstice party - although I thought I could hear it going on in the distance.

      Delete
  7. How exciting to walk in the woods late at night. Glad you had a great Summer Solstice......xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful pictures. I love bats !!
    Happy Summer Solstice !!
    I began following you with my other blog
    Monique Elisabeth ; )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou for visiting, happy Solstice! I will visit your blogs. Betty

      Delete
  10. ~ A magical time of year and a beautiful post....I simply LOVE your to do list...I have a wish book and a few of your to do's are on it too! ...Take time to dream...Hugs Maria x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Magical photos and a lovely post!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Have just started following you. Your to do list is very similar to mine :) Keep up the good work
    Ellie xx
    www.welliescrochetandcows.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting, please leave a comment if you would like me to know you passed this small corner of the world. To prevent spam I block anonymous comments.