Thursday, 30 May 2013

End of May

Welcome back, I made cake!   a rare cake that didn't turn out flat! this one was thick and luxurious, ginger and syrup cake, its laden with calorific buttercream filling but is so delicious I won't dwell on that.




 Hope you have time for a long end of month post. I commented on Pompoms blog recently that it's good to see things in a childlike way so I would give myself an exercise in painting as a child would - well, if a child had a book of cakes and couldn't cook them,she would probably paint them I thought!




The inspiration was in my latest library book -  Clandestine Cake Club, it has some beautiful photography as well as lovely recipes.





The woods at the end of May are drenched from heavy rains and sound like a tropical rain forest with all the birds whooping with delight!


Elderflower is just showing green lace caps and hawthorn has tight white buds, the bluebells are coming to an end, in the fields there is clover, vetch and dandelion.    



Today we have heavy, silent raindrops, the woods are rustling with birds and they are singing loudly, they make a different noise when it rains - celebrating I think.  The woodland behind my fence is full of life.  I will buy birdfood.  In the UK we have a nature programme on tv called Springwatch that shows local countryside and garden wildlife, this year things are out of tune due to the cold weather we have been getting, birds are nesting and hatching late, hedgehogs are not making it out of hybernation as they have lost too much body fat so there will be less of these pretty creatures, nature is harsh and powerful.  I heard an owl last night, the first time this year - he's somewhere out there in the woods, watching our little house lit up like a fairy lantern at night.




My head is brimming with words today, but no paintings, maybe painting another day.  My painting mojo has left me.  


So as we turn the page and step into June - I hope the theme will be sunshine, picnics, seaside and a glimpse of Summer for us all.

Betty x

21 comments:

  1. Such lovely pictures, although I'm trying to ignore the yummy cakes due to dieting .... thanks for popping in over at my little blog lovely to meet you ... Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I am trying to slim up so the cake was a constant temptation! I found a recipe for a fat free cake that relies on air to plump it up - might give it a try!

      Delete
  2. Wow Betty that is a great looking cake and the painting is very sweet. We are looking forward to June too and are hoping it is better than May. Paws crossed. Have a fabulous Friday.
    Best wishes Molly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Molly, hope your paws will soon be mud free and that you will enjoy many sunny walkies.

      Delete
  3. Hi Betty! Cakes are a wonderful subject!
    Your woods look fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wish you could visit my woods, I know you would have a picnic with you and would help build my tree house.

      Delete
  4. Hi betty,lovely words,im just imagining your home lit up like a fairy lantern :)
    Lovely cake paintings,making me hungry and love the wood piccies too.
    Happy weekend,xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting, it's only a fairy lantern because the men leave all the light lights on - our electricity bills are huge!

      Delete
  5. Hi Betty, It has been raining and raining here too and it has either been very cold or very warm. Nothing in between.

    Congratulations on the nice cake. It looks very tasty. Your cake paintings looks just as yummy. I love listening to the lively sound of birds singing in the background.

    I hope that you have a nice weekend.
    JB

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Julia, have a good weekend yourself. Betty

      Delete
  6. It's all good enough to eat! One day I'd like an elderflower tree in the garden, and I would make things from strained things. Mmm! I'm thinking of giving up on baking cakes- always collapsed in the middle. I'm better on tartes. I'll be the tart lady ha ha x Love the background soundtrack, Betty; it always makes me smile!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tried to tape more birdsong yesterday Mags but there was a lot of aircraft that interrupted! it's not always tranquil here less than a mile from the airport. I made elderberry cordial last year which was delicious, might try elderflower fritters.

      Delete
  7. Betty, your cake paintings are great, mojo is still there!! I love the battenburg one :)
    I also like your 'woodland words' ...so evocative, I could be there! As I'm sure I've said, there is much to savour at this time of year, in Nature, even when it's cool and rainy.
    Blessings to you,
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou Alex. This morning it is sunny and feels a much more cheerier place.

      Delete
  8. Hi Betty, wow that cake looks so good. I wouldn't dwell on the calories either ; )
    Wonderful outdoor pictures. It has been raining here in The Netherlands too and everything looks so lush and green.
    Hope your muse will return shortly. Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The cake looks scrumptious, truly scrumptious (oh, I feel a song coming on!). I love your cake paintings as well - you are really finding a skill here. The paintings are beautifully set off by all your lovely photos as well.

    ReplyDelete
  10. OOH!!! that cake looks just yummy.. I can see that for sale in an old fashioned tea shop. Love your photos.....xx
    Thank you for your comment on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mmm. All things beautiful here today ~ nature, green, birdsong, art... and cake!

    Blessings, Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Betty - I'm enjoying listening to the birdsong here, echoing the songs outside my window! That cake looks and sounds delicious! Your woodlands look lovely, and sorry the hedgehogs had a rough winter. I wonder if the chipmunks here in the US had the same fate. Where I used to have many, this year, I have only seen one. I love them and miss them.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The woods look magical ... so does the cake - need a ladder to climb it but is making mwe drool!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting, please leave a comment if you would like me to know you passed this small corner of the world. To prevent spam I block anonymous comments.