Friday, 15 February 2013

Vintage Wedding

Hello visitors, hope you all enjoyed Valentines day.


All the girls at work received an origami heart badge yesterday for Valentines made by a lovely chap who is well known for his origami masterpieces.  Here's mine:



If you have 2-3 minutes to spare and like vintage clothing circa 1939, you might like to watch my video - it is originally 1939 vintage of my great aunt Olive's wedding, she is given away by my grandfather Jute and the little boy is my father.  There were a lot of sisters involved (9 I think) and you can see they all seemed to like the same style of  eye glasses and have the same odd swaggering walk!  A proper vintage wedding, it was unusual to have weddings film in those days, we had it copied to dvd and the flowers enhanced but otherwise it's original.  !  Hope you can view it HERE courtesy of Youtube.  (p.s. I hope nobody will be offended by the men larking about at the end).


Cake making doesn't always work out with me - but today I made a coffee sponge followed by a lemon drizzle cake ... here's the sponge - either I am on a roll or this is it for the year as two per annum is about my success rate!



I'm working this weekend and the coming week, then it is my birthday so there will be a bit of celebrating - I might be absent for a while, will catch up on your blogs after that.  I hope all the swap partners have made contact and that you are all happy  - please let me know if anyone has any worries though.

Have a lovely weekend - Betty x

15 comments:

  1. How lovely to have the film, the outfits look lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an amazing bit of history that film is. The bouquets were so huge!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed it - I love the clothes they wore - how fabulous to always go out in a hat! Betty

      Delete
  3. I will pop over and take a look and I like the look of that cake! Have a lovely birthday. Xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou Lyn - the cake tasted better than I expected! I think I had success today because I finally have a pair of digital scales instead of my old fashioned weights scales with weights.

      Delete
  4. Betty I know you will know what I mean as the film is not appropriate but it reminded me of Brief Encounter. Love the by gone elegance. Wonder why some of it was in B&W and some n colour? Suppose expense. Any even laughed at the salute near the end. Thanks for sharing. Have a fabulous Friday.
    Best wishes Molly

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Betty - Loved the film as have always loved that era - also LOVING the look of your sponge cake. I could pop round for afternoon tea perhaps??!! Thinking of you - happy weekend, Julie :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. your father was one adorable ring bearer! What a treasure to have a video like that

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, the cake is stunning. You're so right, Betty. Cake is comforting.
    Yay for you and your birthday! (BIG HUG!)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for sharing your film with us. How lucky you are to have such family memories. I love home made cake, yours is making my mouth water just looking at it.
    I am in contact with Rebecca for my swop and have started putting some thing together which i hope she will like.
    Happy Birthday for next week ....xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. HAPPY,HAPPY BIRTHDAY BETTY.
    Love that film and hope you get a nice cake for your birthday too.xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Aw betty that wedding was lovely, all the ladies in their furs and the flowers were beautiful. What a treasure to look back on,lucey xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. love number 1. Flowers.

    I dont see a film.

    I must see where.

    ReplyDelete
  12. So happy you got the wedding video up on YouTube. The flowers carried were gorgeous, evin in black and white. I thought it interesting to see the juxtaposition of the bride coming down the church path with a cross over a tomb to her right...joy in a new life together in marriage with a cross signifying death and resurrection right beside the bride.

    I was wondering if the bride and groom are still living?

    Cake looks yummy.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting, please leave a comment if you would like me to know you passed this small corner of the world. To prevent spam I block anonymous comments.