Monday, 5 November 2012

Acts of Kindness

Just a quick note to say that Next week is UK National Kindness week.  There are lots of ideas HERE examples that I like are:  paying for someones newspaper as they wait in the queue behind you, giving your neighbour some of your flower bulbs so their garden can look as good as yours next Spring or even just giving a lift to someone who you pass but know lives on your estate.


I have never forgotten a kindness I received years ago as a young newly wed without transport  (it was a regular event on a tight budget to either be walking to/from the shops or the launderette with heavy bags but I must have looked a sad case that day!):  

 I had got my supermarket shop on foot as usual but not accounted for how heavy it would be to carry home, I was pacing myself 20 steps then a rest and so on as the plastic bag handles cut into my fingers.....

A complete stranger who saw me struggling with those four heavy bags, asked where I lived and was not deterred by walking over a mile out of his way- insisting on helping me carry them all the way home.... never to be seen again.

Have you ever received an unexpected kindness from a stranger?






  

8 comments:

  1. Hi Betty - yes I have received a few odd ones and also try to pay it forward too on many occasions.
    Last year a complete stranger turned up to the cottage with a rubbish bag full of old linens & doileys (& lots of rubbish too) & gave them to me - she was helping her neighbour clean out their mothers house after she passed away & they were going to be sent to the tip - so she thought of me & the things I make & drove out here with them. I offered to give her some potpourri for them but she didnt want anything. It made me smile for a veerry long time. Hugs, Julie :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is a lovely experience Julie - I think that's the thing - when something like this happens you are more aware and then you want to 'pay it forward' as you say ... maybe that's where 'one good turn deserves another' comes from!

      Delete
  2. Hello Betty...well I have just had the loveliest encounter that came about in the strangest of ways. I have a saved search on Trade Me for lily of the valley & today I found a listing that said that someone had lots of spare plants & that they were free..although the offerer lived 100's of miles away I decided to ring the number anyway & had such a nice chat with "Janet" she is now going to post me some of her plants..I will of course pay her for the postage. Oh I am so thrilled & so is she : ) Much love to you Betty x0x0x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How fabulous - I am genuinely pleased for you Catherine! What a lovely thing to have happen to you.

      Delete
  3. Betty, I will have to think about this one.

    That was an amazing act of kindness you received with the angel helping you carry your burden. I definitely believe in angels unawares and think you might have had that type encounter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have often wondered - it's a lovely thought.

      Delete
  4. Sometimes I believe Betty that angels appear in human form just when we need them most. Just maybe you were in the presence of the divine - who knows but I believe what you posted - giving is an act of worship. Wouldn't this old earth be a wonderful place if everyone did one good deed each day for someone. Hope you are getting better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am getting better, thankyou Debbie. I agree - one good deed a day would change the world - I suppose it would be hard to keep it up every day though!

      Delete

Thank you for visiting, please leave a comment if you would like me to know you passed this small corner of the world. To prevent spam I block anonymous comments.