Friday, 26 April 2019

Hello from Me





Our woods are full of  bluebells, the surrounding fields are very pretty too....



An old Somerset superstition is that if children go into the woods when bluebells are out, they will be stolen by fairies.  Bluebell bulbs are toxic so maybe that's how the superstition started.  The beautiful smell is overpowering.

We had a day out in Brighton this month and explored The Lanes.  My most favourite find was...


Sara Le Roy's art gallery.  This is a tiny little art gallery show casing her  her 3d wowrk and glasses are provided to get the best experience.  Her fairytale work is quite beautiful and has a  'dark' side which I love.  https://saraleroy.com/selected-art-works.

Close by is a newly opened Harry Potter shop which has the feel of Diagon Alley and loads of props and merchandise from the films....


Below is a picture of a shop I really enjoy visiting called Waste.  They sell second hand vintage clothing, mainly 70s (which unfortunately for me comes in very small sizes - it is 40 years since my waiste measured 22 inches!).  They also have devoted an upper floor to indoor plants, some of them huge, and glass bottle gardens (this is interesting for me as I have a vintage Verida bottle that needs potting up).  They always have a huge selection of small and sometimes less easily found cuttings on sale out the front.



Lots of the little mews houses off The Lanes are painted pastel colours, I like making my route to the beach via these distractions as they are so very pretty....



Someone has cultivated a lawn of Spanish bluebells (not so popular with wildflower enthusiasts as they apparently threaten the spread of our native wild bluebells which are apparently declining), but they are good enough for me.  In the perfectly designed garden I can't think of anything better than a bluebell lawn as the main feature, to be honest.



 A pretty nautical and seagull themed display makes a nice change from the usual balcony box :)


I nearly forgot to show you my lovely ebay win, I got it under two pounds but paid £3 postage, it was beautifully packaged with a little thank you card so that sort of made up for it.  Lightweight chiffon, the label is (Indian) Kushi, they used to make nice things in the old days and I am guessing it's fairly ancient, maybe late 70s or early 80s (if anyone knows it would be Vix?).  I didn't like the heavy red lining so removed it, now it's nice and breezy for the beach on a future holiday or over a little silk cami with white crops, it folds up to nothing.


Real world seems to be taking over a lot lately, I will be back soon though... Leave a comment if you have time, it's nice to know you stopped by.  I'm off for a cup of tea and some cake now - half a stone to lose so starting a diet next week and feeling the need to indulge while I can! I am very good at going to the gym, a lot, and enjoy a weight lifting class, zumba, rowing and swimming but think I quite simply eat too much!



ttfn - back soon x



21 comments:

  1. The girl who runs Waiste used to blog, I think she's a model now, she had a fabulous home and great taste!
    The gallery looks great, what a nice discovery.
    Love all the bluebells in our garden, it does smell wonderful but I hate the slimy leaves after they've bloomed.
    Kushi are still going, I think! It's hard to date their clothes as they've pretty much stayed true to their original style - hooray! Your tunic is gorgeous, love the colours and definitely think you did the right thing by removing the lining! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would like to see her blog, she didn't have much vintage in the shop my size (small 14) but she had a lot of stuff made up from recycled Indian sari silks (like my Karissa skirt kind of thing)which was impressive - she has a website with a lot of stuff on it too alled All About Aud.

      Delete
  2. Oh those bluebells! So lovely. The NT here is advertising places to go to gaze at the sheets of blue. I do have some in the garden ans they are spreading.
    Enjoyed the wander round the Lanes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you get to see bluebells en masse, the smell is incredible.

      Delete
  3. Oh the blue bells are marvellous! What utter joy to behold! I MUST go and see the ones in Norsey Woods as they are so beautiful- thank you for reminding me. I love Brighton- such an ebullient place to visit- I like the sound of that vintage shop. I can't 'see' 3d art as I can't really see out of one of my eyes- I always wonder what it is like! OOh and your Kushi top is beautiful!x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kezzie, if you go to Norsey Woods please blog some pictures, you can never see too many bluebells! Well the 3d art is viewable without the magic glasses but when you put them on, it looks like she is in the picture and the owl flying beside her appears to be close and lifelike - hubby has same sight issues as you so I know what you mean.

      Delete
  4. What a lovely tour you took us on. Enjoy your break and come back soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks - hope Istanbul will be photogenic :)

      Delete
  5. I've never been to Brighton....I'm intrigued...must visit it now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosh GZ, you've been the other side of the world and seen so much! I can imagine you cycling thru the Lanes (bikes available to hire on the seafront)

      Delete
  6. The Lanes looks like a VERY fun place to visit.
    It's hard not to eat too much because there are so many nice things to choose from! Lol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh yes, I am at my worst in the morning when I want loads of toast with butter and marmite!

      Delete
  7. That first pic looks so pretty and the bluebell one is just dying to be made into a painting!!I've got Brighton on my Bucket List. It looks very interesting. I was at a vintage thingy yesterday and thought about you when I spotted one of those Indian dresses that you like. It wasn't a 'name' one, I checked the label but it had the look. Speak soon.xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. if you ever get to Brighton, we are having chips on the beach!! I do like a vintage thing but they don't happen much round here - EBay is coming up with some good stuff though - I am so slow with bidding though, really need to learn a few tricks.

      Delete
  8. Love the pastel colors of the buildings. Blue bells are prolific in Texas from what I have been told.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Rose, it is traditional in some seaside towns in the UK to paint houses in these colours, it really lifts your spirits.

      Delete
  9. wow your surroundings are looking so MAGICAL dear Betty!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    i thoroughly loved the images :)

    thank you for day ,how interesting to see architecture such lovely and colorful

    i absolutely LOVED this GORGEOUS shirt ,i bet you would looks so pretty in it :)))

    i am so happy that you are exercising regularly so don't wory about eating :)
    hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you Baili, we are very lucky here to have so much to admire; it's very different to your landscape - which I find equally interesting!

      Delete
  10. lovely catching up on your blog, such beautiful photographs of the rape seed and bluebells~ Amazing!!
    i love the story about the fairies ;) old fairy tales of folklore is wonderful...such a lovely place you visited ;)x

    ReplyDelete
  11. p.s LOVING your watercolour drawings of flowers ;)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting this small corner of the world.