![]() |
| near Stoke St Mary |
We visited picturesque villages and found some that ticked all our boxes: a thriving church community, pub, 'chocolate box' cottages with thatched roof and traditional gardens like this one. Friendly people (all of them had dogs that were also very friendly), easy distance of the beach.
![]() |
| Watchet |
Wherever we went we were sure to chat with the locals, that was the most fun of all - people who loved their village and were proud of their community, keen to share it with us and encourage us to join them. We found village halls open to visitors with tea and cake for sale, friendly people inside who were only too happy to answer all our questions about what it's like to live and work in their part of the country.
![]() |
We stopped, for example. at Watchet, a little seaside town that was having a Sunday produce market. Below is the tiny police station, right on the quay and in front of the market. People were selling their cakes, sausages, crafts and garden plants.
![]() |
| Watchet Police Station |
This 'Playful dog loose' (below) amused us. We were in Dunster, visiting my granny's grave in the old churchyard. I was amazed to find that silk cornflowers (originally from my wedding bouquet) which I had left there 25 years ago, were still blue and looking pretty!
Dunster has an ancient yarn market at its centre and Dunster Castle is, of course, a tourist attraction, but I love it because of happy childhood memories.
| Dunster Yarn Market |
I found a lady in Dunster who sells her own honey, she invited me into her kitchen (pretty blue painted farmhouse table and chairs, lots of jars being filled with golden honey and a little kitchen garden full of flowers and herbs spilling out over the postage stamp sized lawn. Her hives were in the field behind the house, along with happy donkeys.
This is my favourite place, Porlock Weir, I have many childhood snaps of me outside these cottages, looking bored and eating ice cream!
Porlock Weir
I spent a lot of time staying with Granny, who lived on Porlock Hill. We had many happy school holidays together at her cottage, where we painted and explored the woods, took a bus across Exmoor, read Lorna Doone and listened to The Archers on her radio. I had not visited these familiar haunts for 25 years so it was both wonderful and emotional at times to see these places again and share them with hubby.
| Porlock Weir |
| Porlock Village |
Near here there are special places: a very small circle of standing stones and also the smallest church in the UK. Places to re-find and explore in the future perhaps.
| Porlock Village |
Over the weekend we found a perfect forever home village not too far from granny's, but I will keep it a secret as it's a just a very small twinkling of an idea at the moment. We are returning again soon and I will take my fairy wand with me next time to make some wishes, if it's the right place I think we will see fairy dust sparkle from my wand and I will know we have found 'home'.
Today it's good to be back home, our solid home of 25 years, where both our boys were born and belong, next to the woods that we have come to think of as 'ours', a little wildlife surprise now and then (deer, kingfisher, wood pecker, owl, toads) lots of wild flowers in summer, holly and ivy for decorating the kitchen in the Winter. It will still be home for a while yet, it isn't ready to let us go yet.... but it's good to have hopes and dreams for the future.
| home |






Your current home is so lovely, but I'm excited about your explorations and the village views. It all sounds so charming!
ReplyDeleteSuch beautiful old houses....
ReplyDeleteHow beautiful . . . the thatched roofs, the rock walls, the little harbor and the climbing roses. I cannot think of a more lovely setting and what a sweet hubby to carry you away for this special weekend. He's a keeper :)
ReplyDeleteHave a sweet week.
Connie :)
It is nice to do a bit of forward planning/dreaming, and you were in a perfect area to do that.
ReplyDeleteLooks like such a charming place. It is so great to have such good memories.
ReplyDeleteThat all sounds very exciting Betty. I hope the worrisome things you had on your minds get banished away very quickly. Everything in the villages you photographed looks beautiful but I think friendly people are high up on my list.
ReplyDeleteWhat do you mean 'when you're old and doddery'??? Just kidding. It all sounds very friendly in cider country. Fingers crossed for everything.xxx
ReplyDeleteYour current home is gorgeous - I imagine it would be very hard to leave such a chocolate box pretty house.
ReplyDeleteThat's such a coincidence, Watchet, Dunster and Porlock were all featured on an old episode of Antiques Roadtrip I watched earlier this week. The way you describe those places make them sound like people way England was in the 1950s - hopefully without the sexism and racism! xxx
You live in the most beautiful country! I cannot imagine the difficulty in choosing one place in which to settle. It sounds like you have found such a place.
ReplyDeleteAn elegant, sweet town...nice place for a stroll!
ReplyDeleteHow beautiful and how exciting! x
ReplyDeleteThe subject matter and the photography are both lovely. I could look a these pictures a long time.
ReplyDelete