Friday, 1 March 2013

Wind in the Willows Tea

"We'll see if tea and buns can make the world a better place."~The Wind in the Willows


Here's a cosy spot to sit down for tea


maybe a small danish pastry?

“When the girl returned, some hours later, she carried a tray, with a cup of fragrant tea steaming on it; and a plate piled up with very hot buttered toast, cut thick, very brown on both sides, with the butter running through the holes in great golden drops, like honey from the honeycomb."
The Wind in the Willows.



I found this tea cup here amongst a fabulous china collection with Wind in the Willows characters - people collect this beautiful set and I am not surprised!  Wouldn't you love to drink tea in this - today I will pretend I am as I join in the  blog hop to celebrate the return of the book that went round the world...

The hostess,PomPom now has the book back after more than a year journeying to bloggers all around the world.   They were here last year having adventures and today the participants are linking up for tea and a chat. 


This was the picnic I painted when I took The Willows to see the windmill near here at Outwood:




mole ate too many cakes....



We went to see the house on Lonesome Lane where teddies are always seasonally dressed and watching from the balcony.  They have been here for many years and I heard that when the house changed hands the new owners agreed to continue the tradition.


Toad was pleased to see we value our toads in the UK, this sign warns motorists that toads cross this road to the pond on the other side and we slow down to avoid them.

The Willows explored our woods and ended with a float in their shoebox down the River Mole where I waved them farewell.

 
Don't forget to visit Pompom and see how the book looks on its return with our comments and skektches and annotations.
 
 

20 comments:

  1. Betty we love Wind In The Willows. Buttered toast and a cup of tea sounds great. We will pop over to Pompom. Have a fabulous Friday.
    Best wishes Molly

    ReplyDelete
  2. Betty I loved this 'wee' little post! ~And will be popping over to say hello to Pompom...I had 'Wind in the willows wall paper in my sons room when he was a baby!It was so lovely. YOUR paintings are wonderful as is MR Mole and his rather large tummy! hehe.. Yum buttered tea cakes sounds just what the doctor ordered.....With kind thoughts...Maria x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful tea cup and your paintings are adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a lovely delightful blog post , pretty paintings and a beautiful cup and saucer

    ReplyDelete
  5. So sweet. I love that cup and saucer...perfect for your tea!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay! We are having SUCH fun! Come on over! My post is up. Pick a teapot!
    Sending HUGE love and admiration your way!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a lovely post. My mum has some royal albert country rose. She used to work at T C Wilds (as it was called in the 60's) and the building is just down the road from me. I forget sometimes I'm living in the middle of pottery and china history.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love all these comments! I notice that all of us love a bit of escapism don't we! Betty

    ReplyDelete
  9. I didn't take part in the Willows' hospitality tour, but I came to tea anyway!! Did you spot me in the corner? :)

    I'll post about our trip to the W.I.THE Wilows Museum, Henley next week ~ you've been there, right?

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No not been to Henley museum so that will be fun to see - look forward to that.

      Delete
  10. Good to see the blanket again!Have missed you posting and this one is delightful with all your paintings. I love the cup and saucer but that house with the teddies gives me the heebygeebies!Have a great weekend, Betty. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well to be honest Nana this house has a lot of history and rumours - a child fell off the balcony and died and that is why the teddies are there - that's the story. The house does cause accidents as it is on a sharp bend and people slow down to look.

      Delete
  11. Hi Betty - love your post :-)
    I didnt realise the Willows had visited with you as dont think I was following you then but I did catch up with their stay at Catherines at Angel in the Garden. It was lovely to follow parts of their journey.
    Am popping over to Pompoms now to have a read.
    The teddy bear house doesnt scare me tho ... how can anything with teddy bears be scary I wonder??? But yes I can see how it may cause accidents if people turn to look.
    Julie :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I can't believe you thought to provide the crocheted afghan. I love tea, cuddled in a cozy chair, covered with a handmade afghan. You really are the most thoughtful hostess. :)

    Blessings, Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  13. The chair with the cozy afghan looks perfect!! Your sweet watercolors capture the whimsy of the Willows, don't they? This tea party was a fine idea -- we have so much to thank Pom for :) But my favorite part of your tea part is definitely the DANISH -- yum!! Oh, I wish I had a plate of those too!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for the visit to my blog and your kind comment.

    I love your beautiful Wind in the Willows tea cup and a cup of tea with a danish sounds perfect for tea time and the afghan feels so inviting to linger on that chair.

    Your watercolor paintings adds that magical touch to your party.

    Have a wonderful weekend.
    JB

    ReplyDelete
  15. Few things are as wonderful as hot buttered toast! Yum!
    I love the teddy bear tradition. It would be fun to have a set of WITW teacups!
    Thanks for inviting us to your party! :D

    ReplyDelete
  16. hhhmmmm . . . am stuck thinking about that hot buttered, thick sliced, perfectly browned toast . . .
    oh yes, and a cup of that fragrant tea please . . .

    ;-)
    libbyQ

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is so delightful! From the cozy blanket and treats to the charming paintings!

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a wonderful post! I love your Wind in the Willows set (wish I had it too!) and "Toad Crossing" is just great! This is my first visit to your blog. I've just posted this week's new Homemaking Linkup and would love to have you join, if you'd like.

    Blessings,
    Mrs. Sarah Coller

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting, please leave a comment if you would like me to know you passed this small corner of the world.